As mentioned in a previous blog, I had created work in Maya I ended up not actually using. But after having a more finalise plan for our city, I started work on creating gondolas. Below are the images of the result of this. My model was used for our gondolas in the final outcome.
As you can see from the images above, I used a basic gondola image in Maya whilst modelling for accuracy. I started out with a polygon primitive cylinder, then scaled it outward horizontally. I then continually extruded, scaled , and moved the ends to fine points, then later selected the faces at the top of the Gondola, extruded them, then moved them inward. After doing all of this, I selected a blinn texture and made my gondola a deep brown to match their real life colour.
As a group, we felt that gondolas were important due to their popularity with tourists. We also felt they added an eerie feel to our final product due to how they floated in the air; this matched our theme of elegant decay (more information on this can be found on Lydia’s blog).
Palazzo Contarini del Bovolo
One building I found particularly beautiful in Venice was the Palazzo Contarini del Bovolo. I felt that this particular building beautifully captured the typical architecture found within Venice due to it’s cylinderical build and it’s use of arch ways and pillars; this is why I decided to create this building as a model in maya. Below is an image of the real-life building, and my model.
As you can see from the images above, I made some alterations to the original reference image in my model; I removed some floor levels. Whilst doing this, I kept the significant features like pillars, arches, and the general structure.
To create this, I started with a cylindrical polygon primitive with a cylindrical hole through the middle (this made the section to the left). To create the windows, I used a cutting tool to draw out each individual window; I found this process to be quite lengthy and I later found ways to simplify this process. I then extruded and moved the faces of my windows, moved them, then deleted both faces on the inside,and outside of shape. To make the pillars on this section, I added divisions and repeated the same process as I did with the windows without deleting any windows. I used a sphere polygon primitive and scaled down one half of the shape to create the roof.
To create the cuboid section, I started with a cube polygon primitive, scaled it into a flat cuboid, then used a cutting tool to create the arches edge and then extruded this. I later added cylinders and spheres to create the front of the shape, then duplicated this twice to create the first floor.I continued scaling,and resizing to create the rest of the building whilst attaching each item as I went.
As Doge’s Palace is one of the largest tourist attractions within Venice, I felt that it would be important to create as a model. Unfortunately we did not end up using this building in our final product; the building was very high poly, quite large, but also did not seem to fit in with the forms of the others buildings in our work and was quite cube-like. Below is the image of my model and the image of the real life Doge-Palace.
As you can see, I simplified the design of the building; this is because I knew how large the file had become but there was also quite a lot of ornamentation on the real building. Similarly to my Maya project mentioned above, I started with a cuboid and extruded a face I drew out then extruded, then duplicated. I also duplicated different rows and attached them to all four sides of the building, and resized the first row to create the thinner second row.
Unlike other projects, I used the Boolean tool for the palace to create windows, and the intricate clover like design laced around it’s perimeter.
As my previous design had considered foliage in our city, I decided to experiment with this. We eventually decided against using plant life within Venice because it did not seem to be found in many places around the city unless we included house plants; the building I had found covered in foliage in Venice seemed to have been an exception to this rule. The image below is an example of this work, and also the reference image I used.
To create this, I took multiple different sphere polygon primitives, scaled them in odd shapes, applied a ivy texture to each individual different shape, then used a sculpting tool to make the shape protrude in different ways.
The above image was found in the book ‘Venice’ by Marion Kaminski.
Below is the texture I used for this experiment.
Below are some tutorials I found to help with this experiment.
St Mark’s Campanile
Below is an image of St Mark’s Campanile. This popular attraction in Venice and is situated within St Mark’s Square. I felt that our group was lacking this type of architecture in our floating city so this was one of the final things I modelled for the project. This was the easiest thing to model and simply involved extrusions from an initial cube upward, then the Boolean tool to create some decoration. Below is an image of the real life building and an image of my model.
In conclusion, I found that much of the data that we conveyed in our project surrounded the tourist population/ destinations, but also how Venice was gradually becoming a tourist destination rather than a place to live permanently.